Saturday, January 30, 2010

MONTHLY MENUS


THE DILEMMA

How many times a month do you eat out??? What are your reasons for eating out?? Convenience.....too many evening activities....forgot to thaw something out for dinner.....tired of the same ole recipes??? Is your grocery bill too high?? Are you wasting money on fruits and veggies that you are throwing away? Have you ran out of dinner ideas?? Are you working on trying to organize your life with simple ideas??

WELL......a monthly menu can solve ALL of the ABOVE!!

THE SOLUTION

I listened to several of my friends talk about their monthly menus. I thought they were all full of shit. LOL....there was no way that anyone could plan a whole month of dinners and actually follow it. BOY...OH BOY, was I wrong. Honestly, it is a lot easier than I thought.

First of all, I LOVE to eat! I love to cook! I love to save money (really, I do!) I hate spending tons of money on fruits and veggies just to throw them out because they are not being used. My life is totally overscheduled. Thus....the importance of a monthly menu.

THE BENEFITS

There really are so many benefits to a monthly menu. First and foremost...you can save a TON of money. If you are following a menu...you are eating out a lot less. You save money, because there is less waste. You buy what you plan on cooking...NO EXTRAS!! You also can cook around your coupons and grocery ads. Another great benefit is that you will eat healthier. You are no longer making those drive-thru runs or pizza stops. When you plan ahead, you are more prepared. More prepared by having a variety of different meals, no more forgetting to thaw food out, no more looking at the clock at 6pm and wondering..."hmmmm...what's for dinner?" (not only prepared, but saving money because in the past it was so much easier to just pick up some take-out at 6pm). And FINALLY...you are on your way to a more scheduled and organized life. Yes, even a little tiny menu, can make a world of difference.

HOW TO MAKE A MONTHLY MENU

I have been making a monthly menu for almost a year. It really has made my life so much easier.

To start off, you need a calendar. You can print up calendars off the internet to make things easier. You can use your pretty frou frou calendar that you MIL bought you for Christmas, your weekly planner (aka my mommy bible), a spreadsheet (I am not smart enough for one of those)...whatever you want. What I did was buy a large tear-off desk calendar from the dollar spot at Target. It is large enough to add your activities as well as the menu and ingredients. There is also a large section for notes...perfect for your grocery list or the "extra meals" section. I keep my menu in the laundry room on our activities bulletin board (this will be in another blog when I am finished redecorating the laundry room) Use a pencil! The first few times you make your menu,you will be making a lot of changes.

If you think a monthly menu is too much.....I KNOW....I KNOW....you are thinking "umm freak....I do not know what is happening tomorrow, let alone the rest of the month!" Yep, I said the same thing. SO try a weekly menu to start. Then slowly move up to 2 weeks...then 3 weeks...then finally a whole month. Really, you will be amazed at how this can work out.

Usually a few days before the beginning of the month, take a couple of hours to go over your cookbooks, recipes, magazines, the internet, the grocery ads (present and upcoming) and in my case, my last months menu. Last months menu is very important (actually, I save all menus) because you can look and see what meals worked for your schedule, what are your monthly staples (the meals that are MUSTS in your house), what new recipes sucked or were total hits, etc. Then look at your work, school and family calendars and work around those. For instance, thursday nights are dance nights, therefore I make a crock pot meal. If I know that Jason and I are having a date night, I plan on frozen food for the kids and add our "dinner out" to the menu. I try to add meals that will correlate with our activities. I am not going to make a huge turkey dinner with all the fixings when I know we have a boy scout meeting. Instead, I either make sure the night before was a large meal where we can have leftovers the next day(yes, I add leftovers to my menu, with time you will know what meals are large enough for leftovers or what meals your kids will scarf down in minutes), make a crock pot meal, something quick and easy like frozen kids food (popcorn chicken/fries) or pasta or make that our take out night. Usually I save more extensive menus for the weekend when we are home or planning on having guests.

Once your menu is made and your week or month is about to start, look at the menu, see what fresh fruits/veggies that you need and what other ingredients that you might be out of and write out your list for the grocery store. Make sure to take out what ever meats need to be thawed 2-3 days before your meal and put them in the refrigerator to thaw. When you are at the grocery store...STICK to your list. If possible, make a couple of trips to the grocery store a week. If a meat that is NOT on your menu is on sale at a super duper price...go for it...freeze it...you just started your next months menu.

You are probably thinking...."ummm...my life is not as perfect as yours (totally LMBO), and things change. Don't worry...at the bottom of your menu put a couple of easy meals. Meals that take little to no thawing, with ingredients that are staples in your home. For an example check out the bottom of my menu. Some of my extra/easy meals are pasta/meat sauce, chicken/peppers/rice......quick 15 minute meals. Also, if things get really hectic, you can always switch things around during the month. If your den/troop leader decides on tuesday to have an unplanned meeting on thursday....the day that you planned a large steak dinner, switch it around. Trade a difficult meal for an easy one, switch nexts week take out, whatever will work for you. This menu is NOT written in stone....hence the PENCIL above. Seriously, I am a mom 3 VERY busy kids and a wife to a work-a-holic.......nothing ever goes as planned........


My life is completely over-scheduled. My monthly menus have been a life-saver, one less thing that I have to worry about each day.

Trust me....this can be life changing!



Stay tuned....January and February menus coming VERY SOON!

1 comment:

Heather said...

can't wait to see your menus! these posts will be great for me. i've been a wife and mom for over a decade, but so not a cook. ever. now that i'm home full time, i have no more excuses.

*but* a strange thing has happened-i've realized that i like to cook and it appears as if i'm actually good at it (so they say). i have to thank pioneer woman for that. i've even started buying and asking for various kitchen things. see-strange.

i still struggle with the planning aspect. so, hoping to find the inspiration and direction i need. and now you have a reason that you can't stop blogging...cause i NEED you! ha!